[MPlayer-users] How to cut, crop and encode ts streams with 2 sound tracks ?

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Sun Jun 26 17:57:18 CEST 2005

RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:58 +0200
> Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> So far, I've tried avidemux, but it does not handle 2 sound tracks and
>
> Odd.  Avidemux supports multiple sound track.

More or less, you can import a 2nd sound track and add it in an avi
file, but you cannot cut it with the video stream and the other sound
track.

>> tends to fail during re-encoding.
>
> What does this mean?  You aren't using avidemux to re-encode the video
> are you?

Yes. But, if I use avidemux on a ts file, I often get a seg fault
while encoding.

>> Do I need to extract one or 2 sound tracks (with maplyer -dumpaudio)
>
> You should know that "-dumpaudio" doesn't work properly with AVI files
> because it adds extra bytes to the output.  This has been discussed
> over and over on this mailing list.

Right. but at this step, (ts extraction), I've got no avi file (yet)

>> and encode them separately ?  If yes , how can I cut the soundtracks
>> and keep them in sync with the edited video ?
>
> In general, you can't keep them in sync.  Using CBR audio and "-vf
> harddup" will give you better odds, though...

Ok. I understand

>> I can edit a video file with one soundtrack with avidemux (but not
>> always reliable) or transcode. Unless I'm wrong, mencoder is not
>> suited to cut a file.
>
> Well, you can use EDL with mencoder for editing.

I'll check that. Thanks

>> But I need some advices on the editing process with 2 audio
>> streams. How should I proceed ? What tool should I use ?
>
> Well, I would suggest creating two AVI files with identical video, but
> different audio tracks.  Make all the edits on one of them with
> avidemux, and when you're done, you can save the edit list, or
> project file (or whatever they call it this week) and apply that to
> both files.  Once that's done, you could merge those files with
> mkvmerge, but tell it not to copy the video stream from one of the two
> AVIs.
>
> I've never tried it, but that's where I would start...  Actually, I
> would start with avidumex's dual audio stream support, but you said
> that didn't work for you for some reason.

avidemux handling of mpeg files is still shaky. I often get seg
faults.

Currently I'm trying:
- replex to get a mpeg/ps file with 2 audio streams
- transcode to cut and encode 1 audio stream separately
- then cut and encode the video stream (with the 2nd audio
  stream).

The 2 last step are mimicking what's done by dvd::rip.
(Currently, I'm still at step 3, still a lot of RTFM to do)

Thanks for the help.

Cheers