[MPlayer-users] How to cut, crop and encode ts streams with 2 sound tracks ?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 26 16:04:29 CEST 2005

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:32:58 +0200
Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont at free.fr> wrote:

> So far, I've tried avidemux, but it does not handle 2 sound tracks and

Odd.  Avidemux supports multiple sound track.

> tends to fail during re-encoding.

What does this mean?  You aren't using avidemux to re-encode the video
are you?

> Do I need to extract one or 2 sound tracks (with maplyer -dumpaudio)

You should know that "-dumpaudio" doesn't work properly with AVI files
because it adds extra bytes to the output.  This has been discussed
over and over on this mailing list.

> and encode them separately ?  If yes , how can I cut the soundtracks
> and keep them in sync with the edited video ?

In general, you can't keep them in sync.  Using CBR audio and "-vf
harddup" will give you better odds, though...

> I can edit a video file with one soundtrack with avidemux (but not
> always reliable) or transcode. Unless I'm wrong, mencoder is not
> suited to cut a file.

Well, you can use EDL with mencoder for editing.

> But I need some advices on the editing process with 2 audio
> streams. How should I proceed ? What tool should I use ?

Well, I would suggest creating two AVI files with identical video, but
different audio tracks.  Make all the edits on one of them with
avidemux, and when you're done, you can save the edit list, or
project file (or whatever they call it this week) and apply that to
both files.  Once that's done, you could merge those files with
mkvmerge, but tell it not to copy the video stream from one of the two
AVIs.

I've never tried it, but that's where I would start...  Actually, I
would start with avidumex's dual audio stream support, but you said
that didn't work for you for some reason.