[MPlayer-users] Embedding videos into documents of a word processor

Joris van der Hoeven vdhoeven at texmacs.org
Tue Jun 28 10:08:36 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I would like to embed videos into the GNU TeXmacs word processor,
so as to improve the presentation mode (http://www.texmacs.org).
For the moment, I would be happy with an interface which works under X11.

Ideally speaking, I would like to use mplayer in a command-line
fashion. This would require two things:

1) The ability to play the video to a X Pixmap (and possibly receive
   notifications of new frames, using slave mode, for instance).

2) The possibility to retrieve the length of a video/audio beforehand.

I have been playing around many hours with the command line options,
but could not find an answer to my first question. I tried the following:

1) Specify a Pixmap ID instead of a Window ID for the -wid parameter.
   Ghostscript provides an option for doing this (very handy).
   Maybe that this is not possible for Mplayer because of hardware
   acceleration. Yet, even when playback becomes slower, such an option
   would be very useful. Indeed, I typically want to write stuff
   on top of the video, crop it (when scrolling) or apply effects to it.

2) Try to use the -geometry, -vf, -x, -y, etc. options and directly
   display to the window (so as to get at least the cropping and
   size correct). Unfortunately, the options don't really work
   as advertised, neither for the x11 nor xv driver. I installed
   mplayer using an rpm (as typical users would):

[vdhoeven at alcazar vdhoeven]$ mplayer
MPlayer 1.0pre6-RPM-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks, Joris