[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] TV-recording with mencoder, "video-buffer full"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Mar 3 17:57:09 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 11:03:41AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 09:16:28AM +0100, Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> > What I wonder is the bleeding and noisy red. I already reduced saturation, but
> > red areas appear, when I click pause, as orange and red interlaced stripes.
> > Some lines are red, then it comes to some orange, then back to red... The
> > vert. position of the orange lines varies heavily.
> > This only happens with RED. Other colors (or a dark red) have no noticable
> > effects.
>
> Well, red is the colour that causes most trouble on a normal TV set,
> too...
> But I am a bit irritated: the problem only happens when you play the
> recorded movie and pause it or did I misunderstand that?

You mean trying to record while playing a paused VHS cassette to your
TV-in? This will certainly do weird things, since a VCR's output while
paused is NOT, strictly speaking, a valid video signal. That's why you
see so much noise/stutter/crap when watching it on a normal TV.

BT8x8 is a pretty "dumb" capture device (although simple enough that
it works; this is a good thing in many ways), so it can't repair this
signal to make it look half-decent like it would on an ordinary TV..

Solution: just don't try to record while paused. It's pointless
anyway. Capture the moving video and edit it on the computer to make a
still if necessary.

Rich