[MPlayer-users] DVD aspect ratios

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 7 16:29:42 CET 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 03:13:42PM +0159, Ville Saari wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:33:07AM +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> > > This of course applies to 4:3 image too. The numbers are 108/79 for
> > > NTSC and 160/117 for PAL.
> >
> > Are there any official docs supporting your claim available on-line?
>
> I'm not aware of any official docs online, but anyone interested in
> digital video aspect ratios should read this:

I think the question is what values should be stored in the mpeg
headers (and what you need to pass to libavcodec to make this happen).
The physical values are really irrelevant since either way they're
well within the tolerance of "unnoticable"; what matters is if your
DVD player will accept it or reject it.

Rich