[MPlayer-users] scale and FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

R C rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Mar 7 20:53:12 CET 2005

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:44:17 +0100
Heine Laursen <maillist at gozar.dynu.com> wrote:

> I get:
> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver
> It don't make any difference if I use scale=720:576
>
> If I replace scale with expand I then get, a buffer underflow message,
> but mencoder continues.

I suggest you try adding "-ofps 25" to your mencoder command-line (you might want to get rid of "-mc 0" and "-noskip" too).  If your input isn't exactly the right framerate when encoding to mpeg1/2, mencoder will exit with that error you are reporting.  No idea why "expand" would change the frame-rate, though...

If that doesn't help, it sounds like a legitimate bug in mencoder, and you should file a bugreport.

"buffer underflow" is just a minor warning, and nothing to be concerned about.