[MPlayer-users] scale and FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

Heine Laursen maillist at gozar.dynu.com
Tue Mar 8 13:54:38 CET 2005

R C wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:44:17 +0100
> Heine Laursen <maillist at gozar.dynu.com> wrote:
>

>>I get:
>>FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver
>>It don't make any difference if I use scale=720:576
>>
>>If I replace scale with expand I then get, a buffer underflow message,
>>but mencoder continues.
>

> I suggest you try adding "-ofps 25" to your mencoder command-line (you might want to get rid of "-mc 0" and "-noskip" too).  If your input isn't exactly the right framerate when encoding to mpeg1/2, mencoder will exit with that error you are reporting.  No idea why "expand" would change the frame-rate, though...

This is with mplayer version MPlayer dev-CVS-050308-12:39-3.3.5 (Updated
and compiled today to see if it fixes anything)

I did as you suggested. In fact I stript the command down to:
mencoder -vf scale=0:0:0:0:0:0:pal -ovc lavc -oac copy -o 1.avi
some_avifile.avi (vith ore without -ofps 25 did'ent matter)
And I still get the error, I tryed with various differnt avi/mpeg files.

I also found out it's not limited to mencoder. The same happens with
mplayer. mplayer -vf scale=0:0:0:0:0:0:pal some_avifile.avi

I have also mplayer version 1.0pre6-3.3.4 installed. And with that
version the 2 abow commands work.

> If that doesn't help, it sounds like a legitimate bug in mencoder, and you should file a bugreport.

I'll start reading the bugreport howto. In case it still sounds like a bug!

> "buffer underflow" is just a minor warning, and nothing to be concerned about.

Okay.

--
Sincerley
Heine Laursen