[MPlayer-users] Re: audio codec problem on Fedora 3

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Thu Mar 10 17:03:04 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:49:21PM +0800, Stephen Ng wrote:
> Giacomo,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> I used -aid option after using the -v option to find out which channel
> to use. It worked!!
>
> It seems to me that if I do not use the -aid option, mplayer does not
> know which channel to use (since there is a dts and an ac3 track) or

Without -aid mplayer picks the first audio channel he finds on the disk.
What "the first audio channel" means I'm not sure.

> does not know which codec to use for a particular channel and spits out
> an error!

if you don't give any restriction to the codecs with -ac or -afm in the
command line or in the conf file, mplayer will find and use the correct
codec except if you don't have compiled in the support for the codec.
In your case you DO NOT have libdts.

> I have installed mplayer on RedHat 9 before on the same machine and
> there was no such problem. Do you or does anyone know if it is a problem
> with this version (1.0pre6a) ?

It is related to the way mplayer detect "the first audio channel"

Giacomo