[MPlayer-users] http authentication with icecast2

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 11 17:52:40 CET 2005

I seem to have an issue getting http authentication to work playing an
icecast2 stream.  It doesn't matter if it is an ogg or mp3 stream.  It
works great for playing unauthenticated streams but when I try to play
an authenticated stream it gives me the following messages if I specify
the -user and -passwd command line options.

Playing http://wknc.org:8000/wkncbackup.ogg.
Resolving wknc.org for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wknc.org[152.1.91.207]:8000 ...
Authentication required for "Icecast2 Server"
Resolving wknc.org for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wknc.org[152.1.91.207]:8000 ...
Authentication failed
Please use the option -user and -passwd to provide your
username/password for a list of URLs,
or form an URL like: http://username:password@hostname/file
Unable to open URL: http://wknc.org:8000/wkncbackup.ogg

If I specify the username and password in the URL I get this:

Playing http://jbebel:[passwd]@wknc.org:8000/wkncbackup.ogg.
Resolving wknc.org for AF_INET...
Connecting to server wknc.org[152.1.91.207]:8000 ...
Authentication required for "Icecast2 Server"
Unable to read the username
Please use the option -user and -passwd to provide your
username/password for a list of URLs,
or form an URL like: http://username:password@hostname/file
Unable to open URL: http://jbebel:[passwd]@wknc.org:8000/wkncbackup.ogg

Has anyone successfully used http authentication?  With an icecast2
stream?  The error messages and man page sure make it sound like mplayer
should support http auth, but the evidence shows otherwise.  The
authenticated stream plays fine in winamp, so I know the http auth is
working fine on the server.

Thanks,
Joel Ebel