[MPlayer-users] Installing/configuring mplayer plugin

faxmodem at free.fr faxmodem at free.fr
Thu Mar 24 00:04:21 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:26:57PM -0600, John McKee wrote:
> I thought that all that needed to be done was specifify in the Helper applications the information needed to activate the mplayer plugin.  As I said, I can play the same stream when I pass the URL as a parameter to mplayer.  This is not to say that I know how mozilla handles this internally.

The point is, you're talking about a helper application.
As Kevin pointed out, your problem is the site probably points to a URL
using href="mms://". In that case it's just mozilla doesn't know about
protocol mms. You can fiddle as much as you want with your MIME types it
won't work. Mozilla can only call helpers if the document is linked e.g.
inside an <embed> tag.

So you'd need to register a new protocol in mozilla. I don't think that's
possible on a user base. You could check typing "about::config" in your
address bar though -