[MPlayer-users] Re: Trying to view an .mpg file using mplayer but can't view the video

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu May 5 15:10:08 CEST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:13:53 -0400
Mauriat <mirandam at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd love for you to point out any errors you feel are so detrimental
> and which recommendations are bad. I'm not looking for endorsement,
> but I would like to improve it if possible.

I don't know why anyone would suggest installing divx.  It certainly
isn't necessary, as you've said.

Linking libs/includes from /usr/local to /usr is not a smart way to do
things.  Either configure the lib (eg lame) with "--prefix=/usr" or
configure mplayer with --with-extraincdir=/--with-extralibdir=.  You
could also force lame to be enabled in mplayer even if not detected.

Untarring packages by running gzip, then piping that to tar is
unnecessary.  Why not just use -xzvf or -xvjf for bzip2?

Telling people to disable the *Gee-Cee-Cee 2_dot_9_6*  warning is a BAD
idea. Better to tell them to install a new version of gcc, or install
everything by RPM instead.  (name and version of compiler disguised so
as to not be blocked by very stupid mailing-list filter)

Installing the codecs.conf file is strongly discouraged, unless you
specifically need it for something.  MPlayer's "make install"
automatically deletes the installed codecs.conf file.

It makes no sense to symlink the global config file to your home dir.

What's the point of running make uninstall before make install?