[MPlayer-users] Re: Trying to view an .mpg file using mplayer but can't view the video

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu May 5 19:33:36 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

> On Wed, 4 May 2005 22:13:53 -0400 Mauriat <mirandam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd love for you to point out any errors you feel are so
>> detrimental and which recommendations are bad. I'm not looking for
>> endorsement, but I would like to improve it if possible.

<snip>

> What's the point of running make uninstall before make install?

Well, for some projects this last one can make sense - if the earlier
version installed particular files which are no longer used, whether
because they've been incorporated into other files or because they've
been renamed or because they're simply no longer necessary, then 'make
install' will almost certainly leave those orphaned files on your system
without telling you. AFAIK 'make uninstall' should, in theory, delete
those files, leaving you with a clean system on which to install the new
ones. Whether or not this applies to MPlayer I'm not sure, but I'm
virtually certain that it applies to other projects whose CVS I run, and
the fact that I don't habitually do it leaves me somewhat remiss.

I agree with your other criticisms in principle, though I haven't read
the particular document in question.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.