[MPlayer-users] softsub in .avi file

Rickard Närström rickard.narstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 8 20:32:06 CEST 2005

On Sun, 08 May 2005 19:21:21 +0200, Oleynik Phil
<Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru> wrote:

> Rickard Närström wrote:
>
>> It's some work - but not imposible, the problem is that mkvtoolnix
>> generete random Segmantion Faults on linux x86_64, and that I have
>> nerly  100 files at about 20 minutes each that need to be converted.
>
> In that case, maybe you should generate some script for bash, and let it
> work all night. You may also check in script how mkvmerge exited,
> so if random segfault occurs, let script try one more time (do not make
> a loop - it may become forever). What version of gcc do you use?
> I think about AMD 64bit in future, I am interested.
>
> Philipp

64bit OS is working very well, I am using a Gentoo patched gcc:

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.3-20050110 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3.20050110-r2,
ssp-3.4.3.20050110-0, pie-8.7.7)

If you usualy install a lot af binary packages like flashplayer, opera you
will encounter a few problems - those binary packages often don't have a
64bit variant so you have to emulate 32bit (you are lucky the kernel have
native 32bit emulation) - the real problem is that a 32bit program can't
use a 64bit library and a 64bit aplikation can't use a 32bit library. -
thats mean you will need a 32bit webbrowser to view flash as there are no
64bit flashplayer plug-in yet. - You will need two variants of glibc also
one 32bit and one 64bit. (Usualy your distrubution will fix everything of
this for you, but it can be good to know)

Now back to my problem, I sucessfully converted the first avi to mkv - but
do you have any idéa of how to remove all the junk output strings will
generate, this time i manually removed it using a text editor that wont
work in a bash script.