[MPlayer-users] softsub in .avi file

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Sun May 8 23:47:04 CEST 2005

Rickard Närström wrote:

> On Sun, 08 May 2005 19:21:21 +0200, Oleynik Phil
> <Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru> wrote:
>
>> Rickard Närström wrote:
>>
>>> It's some work - but not imposible, the problem is that mkvtoolnix
>>> generete random Segmantion Faults on linux x86_64, and that I have
>>> nerly  100 files at about 20 minutes each that need to be converted.
>>

>> In that case, maybe you should generate some script for bash, and let
>> it  work all night. You may also check in script how mkvmerge exited,
>> so if random segfault occurs, let script try one more time (do not
>> make  a loop - it may become forever). What version of gcc do you use?
>> I think about AMD 64bit in future, I am interested.
>>
>> Philipp
>

> 64bit OS is working very well, I am using a Gentoo patched gcc:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.3-20050110 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.3.20050110-r2,
> ssp-3.4.3.20050110-0, pie-8.7.7)
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
> is NO
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> If you usualy install a lot af binary packages like flashplayer, opera
> you  will encounter a few problems - those binary packages often don't
> have a  64bit variant so you have to emulate 32bit (you are lucky the
> kernel have  native 32bit emulation) - the real problem is that a
> 32bit program can't  use a 64bit library and a 64bit aplikation can't
> use a 32bit library. -  thats mean you will need a 32bit webbrowser to
> view flash as there are no  64bit flashplayer plug-in yet. - You will
> need two variants of glibc also  one 32bit and one 64bit. (Usualy your
> distrubution will fix everything of  this for you, but it can be good
> to know)

I see, thank you, it sounds good. I use 3.4.3 on usual 32-bit machine
and it satisfies all needs. So I see there is just normal problems, that
will soon be resolved.

> Now back to my problem, I sucessfully converted the first avi to mkv -
> but  do you have any idéa of how to remove all the junk output strings
> will  generate, this time i manually removed it using a text editor
> that wont  work in a bash script.

What are that junk strings? These?:

> [Script Info]
> ScriptType: v4.00
> Collisions: Normal
> PlayResY: 1024
> Timer: 100.0000
> [V4 Styles]
> Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour,
> TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline,
> Shadow,  Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
> Style:
> Style1,Tahoma,52,&Hffffff,&Hffffff,&H000008,&H000008,-1,0,1,2,0,2,30,30,30,0,0

It is not junk, it is SSA/ASS-scripts format header, it's necessary for
applications that can handle
different text styles in the same script (usually, I see subtitles in
anime, so there is a pretty good
thing if each character has its color of subtitle. However, in mplayer
this feature is not yet supported.)

mkvmerge should understand that it is SSA/ASS, not SRT or anything, so
you won't see that lines
in a movie. mplayer parses SSA and shows only text, without any styles.
If the script you have, has
large number of overlapping entries this may confuse mplayer, and
something will either stick on
screen, or won't be visible.

If nothing helps - try to use Perl to remove lines you do not like, it
likes such jobs.

Philipp