[MPlayer-users] Extracting Subtitles from a Vob file

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Mon May 16 22:44:46 CEST 2005

I'm trying to extract subtitles from a vob file.

I can get this command to work:

mencoder appleseed.vob -nosound -ovc copy -o /dev/null -vobsubout appleseed -sid 0 -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsuboutid en

which creates the appleseed.sub and appleseed.idx files, as expected.

The sub file is 4MB large, also expected.

But if I try to play this movie, using these subtitles, with the command:

mplayer -vo xv  -vobsub appleseed -vobsubid 0 appleseed.vob

I get the following error:

Playing appleseed.vob.
VobSub: Can't open IFO file
No matching VOBSUB language found!
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x480  (aspect 3)  29.970 fps  3500.0 kbps (437.5 kbyte/s)
SUB: Detected subtitle file format: rt
SUB: Read 0 subtitles.
Cannot load subtitles: ./appleseed.sub

Attempts to play appleseed.vob with the appleseed.sub file in
Kaffeine results in an immediate segfault.  What am I doing
wrong?

By the way, the example in mplayer documenation to extract subtitles is wrong.

mencoder movie.mpg -ifo movie.ifo -vobsubout subtitles -vobsuboutindex 0 -vobsuboutid fr -sid 1

Does not work unless I do something with both the audio and video.  Using Mplayer 1.0pre7.