[MPlayer-users] MPlayer Audio Quality

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue May 17 21:46:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

MPlayer uses the bio2jack library for playback via jack (and the more I
see of it the more unhappy I am about it - well, if I did really care).

> I assume its going through a few volume filtes as using +,- keys changes volume
> separtley to the command line volume option.

That's the messing of the bio2jack library, it always adjusts the volume
(yes, even if it is 1 it multiplies all samples by 1.0 !!!

> Can anyone explain the audio chain inside mplayer and how best to optimise it
> for quality?

-af-adv force=1

> Why is the audio being output to JACK at s16le when JACK can handle 32bit audio?

Because the bio2jack lib can only handle 8 and 16 audio (currently).

So the solution for your problems is either to fix bio2jack or getting
rid of it... Patches welcome (if you can do it nicer and with a lot less code than bio2jack).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger