[MPlayer-users] Using B-Frames in MPEG2 and my observations

VJ vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:13:48 CEST 2005

After getting good suggestions from Giacomo Comes(another mailing list
member), I started using B-Frames and following are my observations:

1)  File size drops quite a lot. One episode of Friends used to encode
to 190MBytes without B-Frames. Now it is quite less.

2)  With 1 B-Frame the file size is 120Mb or so and quality is almost
same. No A/V sync issue if I add -af delay=100:100(or else the sound
seems to lead the picture).

3)  With 2 B-Frames, the file size goes down further but I lose A/V
sync. The sound always leads the picture.

So for now I am sticking to using 1 B-Frame and thanks to Giacomo
Comes for sharing his knowledge.

Also thanks to Rich Felker for suggesting the ussage of harddup and
different values for -mc.

Regards from

VJ