[MPlayer-users] Legality of binary codecs

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Fri May 27 00:05:01 CEST 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 16.57, Gregor Richards wrote:

> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>

>> On May 26, 2005, at 16.29, Gregor Richards wrote:
>>

>>> What is the legality status on the array of binary codecs
>>> provided at MPlayerHQ.hu? I am particularly interested in Windows
>>> Media codecs in a business environment (that is, with intranet
>>> distribution), in the United States prmarily but also worldwide
>>> if possible.
>>>

>> I'm no expert on this, but I'm pretty sure the Windows Media
>> codecs are built into FFMpeg, which is an open source project. If
>> memory serves, I believe that the codecs are reverse engineered,
>> not derived from Microsoft codec software. FFMPEG is covered under
>> the Gnu LGPL and has components covered under the GPL.
>>

>>> Are the codecs legal to users who have valid copies of some
>>> specific license, such as an OS license with Microsoft?
>>>

>> I would assume so. There is a Windows version of MPlayer. Unless
>> there is some kind of contract between you and Microsoft where you
>> state that you will exclusively use Microsoft's audio/video
>> software, this should be 100% legal with just about any license
>> you hold.
>>

>>> Are they legal outside of the US?
>>>

>> Well, unless the particular country has a law against them, or
>> software patents where MS holds the patents to the WMA/WMV codecs,
>> they should be.
>>

>>> If the binary codecs provided aren't legal for use, is there any
>>> legal way to play Windows Media content?
>>>

>> Windows Media Player. There are (of course) Windows versions, as
>> well as Macintosh versions. VLC also has WMA/WMV playback
>> capability and is available on practically every platform imaginable.
>>

>>> (Not just ASF/WM* files, but the Windows Media codec itself)
>>>

>> I'm not sure I quite understand this. Are you inquiring as to
>> where one can obtain the Windows Media codecs themselves legally?
>> Well, as states above, I believe that the FFMPEG codecs are 100%
>> legal, so you should have no problems with that.
>>
>> Again: I'm not lawyer, and this is all from what I remember, so I
>> wouldn't take this as law.
>>

>>> Thanks for any response.
>>>
>>> - Gregor Richards
>>> Open Source Software Build Engineer,
>>> Intel Corp

> I was under the impression that the Windows Media 9 codec was not
> supported in FFMPEG. That's what I meant to say when I said " (Not
> just ASF/WM* files, but the Windows Media codec itself) ". I'm
> aware that WM<9 support works fine, but I'm unsure whether this
> will be enough. At least for the moment that's what we're aiming for.
Ahh, then, for the time being, you seem pretty out of luck. Like
Richard Felker said:
     " Except for wmv3 (aka wmv9) and the corresponding audio
formats, most windows media files can be played without any binary
codecs."

> Also, this is on GNU/Linux systems, if that helps.
It would ordinarily help, but in this case, since WMV9 and all DRM'd
files are no-go with MPlayer, it's a rather moot point.