[MPlayer-users] Legality of binary codecs

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri May 27 06:21:49 CEST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 14:29:21 -0700
Gregor Richards <gkrichax at ichips.intel.com> wrote:

> What is the legality status on the array of binary codecs provided at
> MPlayerHQ.hu?

It's quarely in the grey...  When they write the laws on EULAs,
seperating components from bundled software, redistributing pieces of
freely downloadable software, etc., then we'll know.  Right now,
whether it's legal or not seems to depend on how good your lawyer is.

> US?  If the binary codecs provided aren't legal for use, is there any
> legal way to play Windows Media content?  (Not just ASF/WM* files,
> but the Windows Media codec itself)

Nope.  The VC-1 spec (WMV9) was supposed to be finalized and released by
now, but it hasn't been.  Once it is, expect to see it in ffmpeg, but
then you'll still have to pay the license fees to Microsoft, so using
the binary DLLs might be a better option even then.