[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] monitoraspect

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Fri May 27 21:06:27 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:40:39PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Matthias Wieser!
>
>  On 2005.05.27 at 20:11:28 +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote next:
>
> > > Therefore when using a 17" TFT one has to use a different
> > > monitoraspect-Parameter than one using a 17" CRT.
> > > Grabbing a ruler and
> > > measuring up ones displaying device might help in all cases to
> > > experience a distortion-free feature presentation.
> >
> > That's the reason for the option "DisplaySize" /etc/X11/XF86Config.
> > Set Display size correctly and all programs but MPlayer will show videos
> > distortion-free.
>
> Display size usually is correctly set already, X server queries it from
> monitor on startup.

If you rely on the X server to guess the correct display size, your setup will
be wrong most of the times. Many monitors simply don't report the physical size in the
query. And not all the X server drivers are able to query the monitor.
(If I remember correctly, nv driver doesn't do it, proprietary nvidia
driver does it).
It is always good to physically measure the size of your monitor and put the values
in the X config file.

> However, mplayer doesn't need it.. Just assuming that pixels are square
> should be fine, and will work even if display size is set up
> incorrectly.

What do you mean here?
I have a flat monitor with resolution 1280x1024 and aspect ratio 1.25.
The X config file has the correct values for the display size.
Xine shows correctly a 4/3 video in full screen mode with orizontal
black bar. MPlayer needs -monitoraspect 1.25 in order to work
correctly (it doesn't query the X server).

Giacomo