[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] monitoraspect

Sat May 28 06:14:00 CEST 2005

Hi Alexander Roalter!

 On 2005.05.27 at 20:49:52 +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote next:

> The Point is that people using a CRT monitor with 1280x1024 px
> resolution aren't usually aware they're not having square pixels.
> mplayer though assumes this and anamorphic PAL videos are shown e.g. at
> 1280x720 in height, which is not in the physical AR of 16:9, but
> something thinner, ~17:9, there are 60 pixels more to display in the
> black bars around it.
>
> I don't think it would be a risky guess that only half of the people
> using this resolution are aware of this fact and thus don't have a
> -monitoraspect line in their configuration...

I don't think there are such people, or that there are a lot of it..
Most people have 17"/19" LCD screens nowadays, and use 1280x1024
resolution with 5:4 aspect ration. And the current mplayer setup will
use incorrect aspect ratio in this situation.

The ones with CRT use 1024x768, 1280x960, 1600x1200.. Why use 1280x1024?
If someone really does this, he either doesn't care about aspect at all,
or knows what he is doing. He can use monitoraspect in this case.

Assuming that pixels are square will make monitor aspect correct for
everybody except for rare category "1280x1024 and CRT". If you ask
around, you'll find that most people with 1280x1024 have LCD screen...

--

Vladimir