[MPlayer-users] Capturing audio from sound card line input [solved]

Mark Zimmerman mark at foresthaven.com
Sun May 29 02:51:15 CEST 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 10:39:09PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 08:41:25 -0600
> Mark Zimmerman <mark at foresthaven.com> wrote:
>
> > The documentation says that I should be able to capture audio from
> > sound card line input when recording from tv but I have not been able
> > to find the mencoder options that actually make this happen.
>
> man mplayer
> /adevice
>
> That's probably not your problem though.

It wasn't, but I had seen that part of the man page and tried many
things but I could never get mencoder to accept the options. For
example, with :alsa:adevice=hw=0.0 I get:

ALSA lib pcm.c:2068:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hw=0:0
Error opening audio: No such file or directory

and with just :adevice=hw=0.0 I get:

unable to open 'hw=0.0': No such file or directory

even though 'arecord --list-devices' says:

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: AUDIO2000 [AMP Ltd AUDIO2000], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

No matter; this was not the problem. The following, combined with the
forceaudio option did the trick.

>                                           You most likely have your
> mixer improperly set.  Set both the "Line" device and "Capture" device
> as "Capture", and turn them up reasonably high.

I guess that the forceaudio option was needed because I am capturing
video from a card that does not do audio and v4l2 was confused by
that.

Thanks for the help.
-- Mark