[MPlayer-users] structure protection

ilab ilab at freemail.hu
Sun Nov 6 12:00:05 CET 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

>>does someone know the solution for ripping a dvd protected by
>>'structure protection' on linux?

[...]

> I've had a similar problem and I found a solution to that problem!
>
> - Do dump the vob with -dumpstream. Let's say this file will be named movie.vob
>
> - Then you're gonna have to cut the first part of the movie because it
> features a broken audio setting: audio first start as AC3 2.0 and
> switches to 5.1 several seconds afterwards. The idea if to cut enough
> so that the cut version only features 5.1 sound.
>
> You my try to append to your encode let's say "-ss 20". In my
> experience, that sometimes worked, sometimes sometimes it did not.
> When I was muxing all the audio/sub tracks on a matroska file, I was
> getting an a/v desync.
>
> The most reliable solution is just to cut your file with "dd"
>
> dd if=movie.vob of=movie_cut.vob skip=25357 obs=650000
>
> Adjust the "skip" value so that you the cut occurs at an appropriate
> moment in the file, like just before the movie starts. You may adjust
> "obs" to a smaller value if you want too, that somewhat controls the
> buffering process of the copy, where large buffers result in a faster
> copy.
>
> Please tell me if it worked for you as I intend to put this solution
> on MPlayer's docs once ppl would have told me it works or not.

Yes, I have already tried this method (the -ss version) and it works
in my case. I just think this 'solution' is really bad, because for
example in my case the frame skips last for more than a minute... and
actually I would like to have the first part of the video, too. I
think its pretty reasonable approach.

And the most important thing: If mplayer CAN play a vob witout A/V
desync then mencoder SHOULD BE ABLE TO encode the same vob without
A/V desync. There is nothing mystic in this. I think something
is missed out from mencoder which mplayer already knows.

So I dont suggest to put this method in the documentation, I would
not even say that it is a workaround.

Thanx,
ilab