[MPlayer-users] structure protection

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 14:21:19 CET 2005

Hi,

On 11/6/05, ilab <ilab at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> >>does someone know the solution for ripping a dvd protected by
> >>'structure protection' on linux?
>
> [...]
>
> > I've had a similar problem and I found a solution to that problem!
> >
> > - Do dump the vob with -dumpstream. Let's say this file will be named movie.vob
> >
> > - Then you're gonna have to cut the first part of the movie because it
> > features a broken audio setting: audio first start as AC3 2.0 and
> > switches to 5.1 several seconds afterwards. The idea if to cut enough
> > so that the cut version only features 5.1 sound.
> >
> > You my try to append to your encode let's say "-ss 20". In my
> > experience, that sometimes worked, sometimes sometimes it did not.
> > When I was muxing all the audio/sub tracks on a matroska file, I was
> > getting an a/v desync.
> >
> > The most reliable solution is just to cut your file with "dd"
> >
> > dd if=movie.vob of=movie_cut.vob skip=25357 obs=650000
> >
> > Adjust the "skip" value so that you the cut occurs at an appropriate
> > moment in the file, like just before the movie starts. You may adjust
> > "obs" to a smaller value if you want too, that somewhat controls the
> > buffering process of the copy, where large buffers result in a faster
> > copy.
> >
> > Please tell me if it worked for you as I intend to put this solution
> > on MPlayer's docs once ppl would have told me it works or not.
>
> Yes, I have already tried this method (the -ss version) and it works
> in my case. I just think this 'solution' is really bad, because for
> example in my case the frame skips last for more than a minute... and
> actually I would like to have the first part of the video, too. I
> think its pretty reasonable approach.

You may wanna try to dump the audio track with -ao pcm and
re-introduce it with -audiofile, or try to see if encoding the sound
to mp3 on the fly can work around the "variable channel" problem.

> And the most important thing: If mplayer CAN play a vob witout A/V
> desync then mencoder SHOULD BE ABLE TO encode the same vob without
> A/V desync. There is nothing mystic in this. I think something
> is missed out from mencoder which mplayer already knows.

Wrong. There are countless other things that work just fine with
mplayer and are problematic with mencoder. Take for example the
encoding of NTSC or variable framerate contents which require great
deal of attention (which you may call workarounds) to be encoded
correctly.

> So I dont suggest to put this method in the documentation, I would
> not even say that it is a workaround.

Well, if you find a better solution, please share it with me. I still
have a long way to go to get to the point where I can say I master
mencoder, so...

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!