[MPlayer-users] possible mplayer mpeg1 playback bug

Alexandru Toma flash3001 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 19:06:47 CET 2005

mplayer seems to have some problems with some mpeg files (get either
chin1.mpeg or chin2.mpeg from http://www.maladroit.com/chin2/ ). It plays
the video stream a lot faster than the audio stream, which is played at
normal speed. As a result the video and audio get out of sync.

I have tried the following video codecs (with -vc) and all of them have
this problem:
mpeg12 (the default)
ffmpeg1
ffmpeg12

The strange thing is that ffplay (from ffmpeg) plays these videos just
fine even if it plays them at double the resolution for some reason. The
video and audio never get out of sync though.

I've also played those files on Windows with Media Player Classic (which
uses codecs) and VLC Media Player for Windows (which doesn't use codecs
but I don't know what library it uses for MPEG playback). Playback was
flawless with both programs.

After that I also tried Xine and it played chin1.mpeg extremely jerky and
chin2.mpeg a little jerky, but the important thing is that the video and
audio tracks stayed in sync. I haven't yet tried VLC on Linux for various
reasons but I suspect it would behave like the windows version.

Also, I don't know if it's useful, but the files (chin1.mpeg and
chin2.mpeg) were created using Honestech MPEG Encoder 2.0 -
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/honestech.html ... you can see that by
looking in the files, just after the header.

I used mplayer-1.0pre7try2 and ffmpeg-0.4.9_p20050906 on Gentoo Linux.

Alex