[MPlayer-users] Re: DVD trouble on Inspiron 6000 (SCSI: No DMA): including compile errors (was: libdts)

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Nov 17 01:48:40 CET 2005

On Wednesday, 16 November 2005 at 10:01, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 15:28 +0200, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> > Don't build ffmpeg separately. Just copy libav{codec,util,format} dirs
> > to MPlayer source directory and don't use any --enable options that
> > are autodetected by default..
>
> > SPDIF passthrough requires direct
> > access to the sound driver. Use OSS or ALSA.
>
> Thanks, Guillaume and Dominik.
>
> I also had to add:
> #define CONFIG_MUXERS 1 // config.h
> and
> CONFIG_MUXERS=yes // config.mak
>
> It wasn't going to compile w/o them: this is probably a bug in a case
> like this, because those entries should be made by configure, although
> it wasn't hard to figure out.

This definitely should not happen. Post your ./configure command line
and output.

> DTS now appears to work well: of course i can notice some framedropping,
> due to absence of DMA on, i guess, libata for this device. I'll play
> with cache values to see if i could make it more seamless. I'll also try
> ide=scsi or something of that sort in kernel params. But my main problem
> now is that the 2nd DVD i tried still has sound problems (and in fact
> crashes), although this time in a different module.

The proper way to report crashes is described in the docs and at the
end of each crash is a pointer to that. Please follow the docs and
post a complete gdb trace of mplayer built with debugging info.

> I'd appreciate any feedback on this as well:
> [root at localhost MPlayer-20050806]# cat logs/alsa.txt
> MPlayer dev-CVS-050806-07:00-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
[...]
> AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
> Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/s16le -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...
> Starting playback...
>

> MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_audio
> - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
>   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
>   disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
>   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
>   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
>   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
>   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
> alsa-uninit: pcm closed
>
> Alsa attaching similar logs for oss, and sdl, although they appear to be
> equivalent to the one above, which is for alsa.

There's nothing out of ordinary in the above log except that you're using
an outdated CVS snapshot. I know it's a pain, but snapshot generation
doesn't work currently, so please get a cvs checkout yourself and try
that. The bug may have been fixed already.

> It looks like i need to make a debug build, doesn't it?

Yes, but try a recent checkout first.

R.