[MPlayer-users] Reencoding a broadcast HD-ATSC stream

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 18 20:04:33 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:08:51 -0600
Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:

> High bitrate (approximately half of the MPEG-2 TS, I'd say, about 1.5
> MBit, but many people use around 700-800 Kbits,

If you're encoding a 1920x1080 video with a bitrate of 700k, it will
certainly be unwatchable.  Even 1500 is optimistic.

> As far as audio, your call. Use Vorbis instead of MP3 if that's an
> option, but also consider FLAC is size isn't an option.

Nobody would consider using FLAC for HDTV, which is already in AC3.
You'd just waste a lot of space encoding to FLAC, rather than copying
the AC3 stream.

Vorbis or MP3 are fine, if you want to downmix to stereo.  If you want
to keep 5.1 audio, just copy the AC3 stream into the output.