[MPlayer-users] [Obscure] MPlayer/MEncoder features?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Nov 23 16:12:24 CET 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:49:55 +0000 (UTC)
Ashok Thirumurthi <athirumurthi at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My review of the MPlayer docs suggests that an embedded player doesn't quite
> meet the specification that I have met with a QuickTime API.

MPlayer does NOT follow the QT API. Why should it anyways?

> Naturally, the
> documentation does a poor job of mentioning what can't be done.  I have the
> following concerns:

Yes, the documentation lacks at some point, but...

> DURATIONS:
>
> - When I run mplayer.exe filename, a still image flashes by.  Do I have to
> construct a movie using MEncoder to set it's duration?  If so, can I encode
> from memory?

This is in the documentation

> - Can I adjust the duration of stills (and the last frame of movies) to
> synchronize a -playlist with an -audiofile?  If so, how can I calculate the
> duration of the audiofile and playlist movies?

This is in the documentation

> - Can I get an event when each item in a playlist has completed?  Alternately,
> can I poll the remaining duration of an item in a playlist?

This is in the documentation

> ADDING FRAMES:
>
> - If I start with -idle, can I send 'l' to load a file when it is available?
> Can I use -slave and stdin with -wid to send 'l'?

This is in the documentation, though trying would be probably faster.

> - Can I supply a memory buffer (processed with my own filter chain) rather
> than a file for stills?

This is in the documentation

> AUDIO:
>
> - Is there a way to get multi-channel audio using a playlist and an -audiofile?

This is in the documentation

> - Will the start of an -audiofile be synchronized to the start of the -
> playlist even if the playlist has large files?

Do i understand you right, that you want to play
an audio file and a playlist simultanously?
If so, than this is also in the documentation.

> - Can I fade out audio when a movie ends?

This is also in the documentation

> PLAYLIST:
>
> - Can I implement my own toolbar for the playlist?  For instance, I could
> specify a -wid to embed MPlayer in my frame window.  In that case, can I
> capture mouse and keyboard input if I run with -slave?

This is ofcourse not in the documentation. Why should it anyways?

> - Can I implement transitions (i.e. cross-fade) between stills in a -
> playlist?  Can I extract poster frames and ending frames from movies to
> construct transitions?

This is also in the documentation

> - Is there a command line equivalent to FrameStep?

This is also in the documentation

> SUBTITLES:
>
> - How are sub-titles added to media?

This is of course not in the documentation.

>  Can subtitles be added to stills (by encoding as a movie perhaps)?

This is in the documentation

> - Do any of the sub-title formats include multi-line text including IPTC
> properties like the title and caption ?  How about filename, date, size, focal
> length, and shutter speed?

This is of course not in the MPlayer documentation
as it does not belong ther.

> Note: This is my second attempt to post to gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user.

Note: non-subscriber posts are blocked.

What is very obvious from your questions, is that you have
missed the first sentence of the man page (i think it's in
the HTML docs too): "MPlayer is a movie player".
If this sentence doesn't answer the particular question,
then the manpage will. Please note that the slave
interface is not documented in the html docs or the
manpage but in DOCS/tech/slave.txt as we assume that
one needs some conciderable understanding in what's going
on, which an average user cannot be assumed to have.

				Attila Kinali
--
wer soviel schoggi isst, kann sowieso nicht dumm sein ;-)
		-- Sandra