[MPlayer-users] Re: [Obscure] MPlayer/MEncoder features?

Ashok Thirumurthi athirumurthi at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 19:00:48 CET 2005

Attila Kinali <attila <at> kinali.ch> writes:

> This is in the documentation

Aber, danke, ich meine.  It's good to know that it's largely my inability to
make sense of the documentation.

However to make up the gap, I'll need to know what to look for in the
documentation.  For instance, it's obvious that a movie player doesn't play
stills.  However, it could convert stills to movies and I'd never know and how
would you go to sleep at night?

Let's take one point as an example:

>> Can I extract poster frames and ending frames from movies to construct
transitions?

I found out that I can using -frames and -vo.  But look at the gap between the
question, the docs and the partial answer:

−frames <number>
 Play/convert only first <number> frames, then quit.

...then miles later in the docs...

Video output drivers are interfaces to different video output facilities. The
syntax is:

 −vo <driver1[:suboption1[=value]:...],driver2,...[,]>

...surely this is now obvious...

  mplayer -nosound -frames 1 -vo jpeg file.mpg

I found the answer in this list.  What should I search for in the docs to
answer such a question?  The docs contain no reference to the terms that I
used.  The FAQ didn't address such technical points.

> wer soviel schoggi isst, kann sowieso nicht dumm sein

What does schoggi mean?  Never mind, it's probably in a dictionary that
I didn't search.  One can clearly learn how to use a language from a
dictionary.

- Ashok Thirumurthi