[MPlayer-users] Re: Re: garbled audio through FIFO

Bryan Alton balton at eircom.net
Wed Nov 30 23:42:18 CET 2005

Roberto Togni wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:44:06 +0000
> Bryan Alton <balton at eircom.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> You can it on post #76
>> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16917&page=8
>>
>> There was a problem with KQED and a later small mod is listed in post
>> #108 http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16917&page=11
>>
> I'm rewriting the real demuxer to move the packet reassembly and
> reordering from codec to demuxer; that should also solve (or at least
> reduce) the problems caused by desync, since it restarts with a new
> matrix every time it finds an audio keyframe. It won't solve the bad
> sound caused by bad packets anyway. I'll post a patch soon, it's part of a
> bigger cleanup on real demuxer/codec interface.
>
> Ciao,
>  Roberto

>From what you are saying, I shouldn't bother posting my patch.  I think the
approach you are taking is the right one - packets have to be gathered and
held and checked until a block with the right number of packets (as
specified by the flavour) has been assembled before passing to codec.

After the rewrite make sure you test with live real audio stream from the
BBC not just the "listen again".    By comparing behaviour (with test
files), Realplayer replaces missing packets when only a few are lost - if
you restart the matrix every time just one/two packet are dropped there
will be lots of gaps in the audio. BTW keyframes are also lost in live
streams. I did not come across any bad packets, just missing packets as
determined by the timestamp.

Good luck, and I can help with testing if you want.

Bryan