[MPlayer-users] Why -endpos does not work in mplayer, but only in mencoder? And general Mplayer/gstreamer stuff. Was: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 21, Issue 65

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Oct 2 00:00:28 CEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 02:55:20PM +0300, Jouni.Lohikoski at iki.fi wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:42:42PM +0200, mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> > > A/V gets out of sync if I use the -ss option. Audio is
> > > offset one second in advance of the video.
> > >
> > > The command line is:
> > > mencoder tvcapture_20050930-0836.avi -ss 1:00 -endpos 1:00
> > > -o cut1.avi -oac copy -ovc copy
>
> Any good reason why -endpos does not work in mplayer, but only in
> mencoder? With -dumpstream it could be usefull when the object is really
> a stream from the network and not a file. Let's say there is 24/7 stream
> and one wants to dump and split the stream in 4.7/N GB pieces.

Having -endpos would not help, since -dumpstream happens at the STREAM
layer. The timestamps are only seen at the demuxer layer which is not
even loaded.

> Also seems like when the stream has a time stamp, and it has been dumped
> to a file, -ss position does not work according to the index. Is there

What index?

> any other obvious way to choose the position in the stream based on the
> time stamp in the stream?
>
> 24/7 streams often has a real UTC clock
> ticking along with the stream. So for example a dumped stream may be
> from 13:00:05 to 18:23:16. Only way is to calculate (18:23:16 - 13:00:05)
> outside of mplayer and work from that?

It's a limitation of mpeg. The only way to seek to a given timestamp
is linear search (slow as hell and thus not supported).

> What ever happened to G2? Mplayer is more and more starting to feel like
> the "good" old Wordperfect software. Yes it works, but is extremely messy
> and I guess very difficult to maintain?

G2 is dead, I think. Maybe there will be another similar effort but
don't hold your breath.

> Is there any project, which would try to port every codecs and features
> of MPlayer in to Gstreamer framework? Or convert MPlayer to be on top of
> the gstreamer framework? < http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/ >

ROTFL! gstreamer is a complete joke. :)

Rich