[MPlayer-users] Why -endpos does not work in mplayer, but only in mencoder? And general Mplayer/gstreamer stuff. Was: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 21, Issue 65

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi jlohikos at cc.hut.fi
Sat Oct 1 13:55:20 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:42:42PM +0200, mplayer-users-request at mplayerhq.hu wrote:
> > A/V gets out of sync if I use the -ss option. Audio is
> > offset one second in advance of the video.
> >
> > The command line is:
> > mencoder tvcapture_20050930-0836.avi -ss 1:00 -endpos 1:00
> > -o cut1.avi -oac copy -ovc copy

Any good reason why -endpos does not work in mplayer, but only in
mencoder? With -dumpstream it could be usefull when the object is really
a stream from the network and not a file. Let's say there is 24/7 stream
and one wants to dump and split the stream in 4.7/N GB pieces.

Also seems like when the stream has a time stamp, and it has been dumped
to a file, -ss position does not work according to the index. Is there
any other obvious way to choose the position in the stream based on the
time stamp in the stream?

24/7 streams often has a real UTC clock
ticking along with the stream. So for example a dumped stream may be
from 13:00:05 to 18:23:16. Only way is to calculate (18:23:16 - 13:00:05)
outside of mplayer and work from that?

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:38:17 +0930
> "Mark Williams (MWP)" <mwp at internode.on.net> wrote:
> > Does mplayer/mencoder have a wiki?
> > It could REALLY do with one thats kept up to date.
> No, it has old-fashioned documentation.  Allow me to explain the
> It also has the side benefit of not requiring a mainframe to serve up
> every page from the database every time it's requested...

And also side disadvantage of being obsoleted, messy and somewhat
unusable.

What ever happened to G2? Mplayer is more and more starting to feel like
the "good" old Wordperfect software. Yes it works, but is extremely messy
and I guess very difficult to maintain?

Is there any project, which would try to port every codecs and features
of MPlayer in to Gstreamer framework? Or convert MPlayer to be on top of
the gstreamer framework? < http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/ >