[MPlayer-users] How to create a wav file with silence with MPlayer

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Oct 4 16:48:27 CEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:06:16AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 11:01:29PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > It's probably a good thing that it doesn't work, instead of exhibiting
> > random behavior that you won't be able to rely on in the future.
>
> I'd like to say that I am responsible for the change in behaviour of
> -frames. I asked about comments but got no really conclusive reply.
> The problem with the old implementation was that the behaviour was
> basically random, which created problems for people using e.g. -vf png.
> Now it (should) always could the number of frames output.
> Suggestions for improvement are still welcome though.

Well, I was complaining because now -vf png does not work as before.
(see http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2005-October/055924.html)
and you see a BIG difference if you use -vf framestep=I.
My requirement is to render all keyframes in the first n frames.
n is known, the number of key frames in general in unknown and can
change from file to file.

For me the best would be to have the possibility to choose between
the two behaviour, but I can adapt my script to the new one if
that is how it is going to work in the future.

Giacomo