[MPlayer-users] Re: BUG - Garbled output playing realaudio

Bryan Alton balton at eircom.net
Tue Oct 4 22:54:29 CEST 2005

Neil Sleightholm wrote:
> I think you might be right about the stream colasping - I think I may
> have been too keen to stop the mplayer. I believe the worst time for
> Radio 4 is during the Archers - I left it running during tonight's
> edition and when I returned it was still running ok. The other problem
> time is Radio 1's Chris Moyles show. As both of these are the most
> popular BBC downloads I suspect it is load related. I think your idea
> about the BBC servers not keeping up sounds possible as I have never
> had any problems with listen again stream.
>
> I work from home quite a bit so I could run an ethereal trace and note
> any problems. I there anything specific you would need in the trace?
>
> Neil

At one stage I had 3 players running and the ethereal trace showed all
packets to have identical contents - missing packets and all even though
they were started at different time. I think there is one codec system
per station generating the audio stream and a farm of systems handling
the broadcasting of the streams.

Nothing special in the trace - I wrote a small prog to go through the
capture file and dump & filter the RealAudio packets.

I am adding some more diagnostic message to the patch to throw up a message
if one of the possible problem scenarios occurs.

Bryan