[MPlayer-users] One way to improve the playing quality on AT91RM9200

James Lancaster james at kirk.math.twsu.edu
Mon Oct 17 15:23:00 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 03:48 am, Xing Qianqian wrote:
> When playing video with MPLAYER on AT91RM9200, I found it
> difficult to get a nice result. The video is always slow
> played.
> I just modify the audio playing method. Start one thread to
> playing audio from a shared buffer. The main thread just
> put the audio data into that buffer. By this way, the quality
> is improved.
> I think the Mplayer can utilize this method.
>
> On the other hand, mplayer can't play mp3 on AT91RM9200, while
> SPLAYER can. I found that MP3 decoder is running slowly. It should
> be optimized as SPLAYER does.

I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the ARM920T, however, mplayer's default
mp3 decoder is the floating point based mp3lib.. ffmpeg's implementation is
integer, as is mad, and generally (at least on Zaurus/StrongARM mad was
somewhat faster.) Double check that.

The only splayer, I can think of off the top of my head is the ogg
theora/vorbis example player. If that's what you are testing, you'll want to
look at the following options to configure:
  --enable-tremor-low    build with lower accuracy internal tremor [disabled]
  --enable-external-tremor build with external tremor [disabled]
Tremor is the Ogg vorbis fixed point decoder.

James L