[MPlayer-users] MEncoder and MPlayer breaking a/v sync in certain MPEG4 avi files

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Oct 18 04:17:15 CEST 2005

Cross-posting to multiple lists is bad.  Posting one big giant blob of
rambling text with practially no paragraph breaks is also bad.  Dozens
of lines of appologizing for asking a question, before you get to the
point, is unnecessary... or at least overkill.

> Under Linux, MPlayer shows a gradually  increasing gap as one seeks
> farther into the file, progressing to  obvious alternating periods of
> silent lip motion and disembodied voices  by about the 1 1/2 - 2 hour
> point;

Different values for -mc and -autosync are what you need to try.  See
the man page.

> under Windows, MPlayer refuses to  seek at all in the
> more-than-2-gigabyte MPEG4 avi files, even when  compiled with
> --enable-largefiles.

A limitation of AVI, not mplayer. Use ODML for files over 2GBs.

> Is there some way to override this behavior?

a/v sync isn't magic pixie dust.  You can't add an option to turn on
perfect sync.

Perhaps others here are, but I'm certainly not psychic, and can't guess
what command-lines you have or haven't tried, what messages mencoder is
spitting out which may give a clue as to the problem, etc.  I'm not even
sure what platform you're running mencoder on; you make numerous
references to using mplayer on both Windows and Linux.

And last but not least, you should always try latest CVS before
reporting problems, to see if a newer commit has perhaps fixed your
problem.