[MPlayer-users] Networked CD Player

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Oct 31 23:31:25 CET 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 11:57:32PM +0000, Olaf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some pointers here from the community at large:
>
> I know that the general idea is to shove a CD into the drive, copy it to disk
> and stream it across into my SBs.

SBs?

> What, though, if I did not want to copy to disk?  Perhaps because the disk is
> only played occasionally and generally not worth the copy bother?  Or perhaps
> because I borrowed the CD and am highly conscientuous about copyright?

Better not stream the audio either then -- that's forbidden too! :)

> Whatever the case may be, it occurs to me that
>
> (1) Using XP, I could create a symbolic name for my CD drives under the SLIM
> music folder.  They would seem like an ordinary music folder then, so long as
> there's a CD inside.
>
> (2) Every time I change the CD, I suppose I would have to ask SLIM to rescan
> the music library.  That's a bit painful.  Rescanning the music library always
> is.  I was wondering whether SLIM were working on a smarter way of picking up
> changes to the music folder such that (a) the server would notice itself when
> it needs to rescan and (b) such rescans could be more targeted.
>
> In this context it would be quite goofy if the server could itself detect that
> the CD was swapped over and that it needed to have a look at the
> updated "folder".
>
> (3) I notice that CDs carry files ending in .cda.  I stream FLAC.  Is there a
> codec that transcodes from one to the other?

No, they have no files on them at all. These are nonsense fake files
shown to you by windows for the purpose of making shortcuts to them,
'opening' them in WMP, etc.

FYI mplayer has a network streaming system in the TOOLS dir which you
might be able to make use of, but I don't think it's quite what you
want and its experimental. Otherwise this is kinda off-topic but oh
well..

Rich