[MPlayer-users] broken support for old romanian subtitles?

Florin Gherendi florin_gf at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 21:13:06 CEST 2005

Hello everybody!
I am using mplayer 1.0pre7 on a Mandriva 10.2 system.
I am having the following problem: trying to display
non-unicode romanian subtitles using iso-8859-2 fonts
leads to incorrect display of S comma accent and T
comma accent characters (capitals and non-capitals
too). Variations of "a" and "i" are dislayed
correctly. The problem persists no matter which
fonts/encodings I am using. Selecting "unicode
subtitles" or "unicode encoding" in the Preferences
menu breaks "a" and "i" caron/circumflex too.
It would be impossible to change subtitle encodings on
closed CD's so I'm seeking for a solution not
involving re-recording everything. On my old
hard-disk, with mplayer-0.90 and a "hacked" Mandrake
8.2 the subtitles for the same CD's were displayed
correctly.
Looking on the net, I seem to have found that some
encoding standards have changed lately for Romanian
language; but there is quite a lot of irrelevant stuff
when searching this on the net. Is there a way to come
back to the older standard?
Thank you very much for reading!
Florin