[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Sep 6 01:19:45 CEST 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Rich Felker wrote:

>>> I guess this has to do w/ the graphics card and the drivers. A
>>> laptop say w/ 1024x768 max resolution may not be able to handle
>>> 1920x1200 on an external monitor. I think this is why my laptop (on
>>> Windows, haven't configed my FC3 for dual-head yet) only gave me 5
>>> out 7 choices of my desktop monitor's resolution.
>>>

>> This is a matter of crappy windows drivers, nothing else. Just disable
>> to output to lcd first to make sure you don't damage the lcd
>> controller, and then you can freely set any mode imaginable (within
>> your card's dot clock limitations).
>>
>> Rich
>>

> Btw., here's what i stumbled on regarding HDTV out from Radeon:
> http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/HDTV_Setup_Guide.pdf
> It describes Windows, but there is a proprietary driver for Linux as
> well, and from
> http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#1
> i conclude that 3D and hardware acceleration, as well as dual-head,
> and S-Video are supported. They also mention a control panel on Linux
> (i hope it carries at least 70% of its Windows capabilities). ;)
>
> I can't wait to see if all this would actually work on my new laptop:
> probably not, cause i'm not supposed to be lucky. ;)
>
> Anyway, the guide above says that DVI-I, ATI component video adapter
> to DVI-I or VGA connector, and then S-Video, in that order, are the
> best ways to do HDTV from Radeon, which i'm sure are ordered the same
> in general. What this means is:
> if component video adapter to DVI-I or VGA connector is easy to find
> and doesn't cost a fortune, S-Video port in laptops and even desktops
> is an unnecessary expense for users who plan on using their
> laptop/desktop only w/ HDTV, as opposed to regular TV. I guess higher
> end boxes have S-Video by default, and it can't be taken off, but in
> general this looks like a good piece of info to know.

Btw., here's a laptop w/ Composite Video Out:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d810?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=1&~tab=specstab#tabtop

Anyway, from the same guide above, i also conclude that VGA-out onto an
HDTV (or HD LCD monitor) provides better quality output than S-Video.
And since i made every effort to avoid buying a DVD player, i'm likely
to be buying an HDTV w/ VGA in, or HD LCD monitor (i guess they now have
those that look good in daylight too).