[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Thu Sep 1 05:16:04 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>>>I don't see how the lcd resolution is relevant if you're using an
>>>external monitor.
>>>

>>I guess this has to do w/ the graphics card and the drivers. A laptop
>>say w/ 1024x768 max resolution may not be able to handle 1920x1200 on an
>>external monitor. I think this is why my laptop (on Windows, haven't
>>configed my FC3 for dual-head yet) only gave me 5 out 7 choices of my
>>desktop monitor's resolution.
>>

>This is a matter of crappy windows drivers, nothing else. Just disable
>to output to lcd first to make sure you don't damage the lcd
>controller, and then you can freely set any mode imaginable (within
>your card's dot clock limitations).
>
>Rich

Btw., here's what i stumbled on regarding HDTV out from Radeon:
http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/HDTV_Setup_Guide.pdf
It describes Windows, but there is a proprietary driver for Linux as
well, and from
http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html#1
i conclude that 3D and hardware acceleration, as well as dual-head, and
S-Video are supported. They also mention a control panel on Linux (i
hope it carries at least 70% of its Windows capabilities). ;)

I can't wait to see if all this would actually work on my new laptop:
probably not, cause i'm not supposed to be lucky. ;)

Anyway, the guide above says that DVI-I, ATI component video adapter to
DVI-I or VGA connector, and then S-Video, in that order, are the best
ways to do HDTV from Radeon, which i'm sure are ordered the same in
general. What this means is:
if component video adapter to DVI-I or VGA connector is easy to find and
doesn't cost a fortune, S-Video port in laptops and even desktops is an
unnecessary expense for users who plan on using their laptop/desktop
only w/ HDTV, as opposed to regular TV. I guess higher end boxes have
S-Video by default, and it can't be taken off, but in general this looks
like a good piece of info to know.