[MPlayer-users] mplayer for arm926ej-s

Shakthi Kannan genes46genes at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 19:46:11 CEST 2005

Greetings!

I am working on cross-compiling mplayer for ARM926EJ-s
core.

I found this useful link:
http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm/2005-February/009394.html

and used it as a base for cross-compilation.

I have cross-compiled it with libmad-0.15.0b.tar.gz
(first), but, I am not able to get any audio output. I
am using:

MPlayer-1.0pre5try2.tar.bz2
cross-toolchain 2.95.3 (from
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/)

A quick summary of the results:

Format   Video    Audio
------------------------
mpeg     yes      no
mp3       -       no
wav       -       yes
avi      yes      no
wmv      no       no

A brief howto that I followed:

libmad
------

1. Compiled libmad-0.15.0b.tar.gz
	./configure --prefix=
	make
	make install

mplayer
-------

1. Change /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer in configure script
[Because base.cramfs provided by ARM has no /dev/sound
and it uses /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer]

2. Set libmad path
	_ld_mad='-L/path/to/libmad.a'

3. ./configure
   cd libavcodec
   ln -s ../config.h config.h
   cd ../libmpcodecs
   ln -s ../config.h config.h
   cd ..
   make

4. Rename codec-cfg to codec-cfg.x86 or something else

5. Change in Makefile for codec-cfg with gcc instead
of ${CC}

6. ./configure 	--enable-static
		--enable-runtime-cpudetection
		--cc=/path/to/arm-linux-gcc
		--as=/path/to/arm-linux-as
		--target=arm-linux
		--enable-fbdev
		--enable-ossaudio
		--disable-mpdvdkit
		--disable-tv
		--disable-tv-v4l
		--disable-tv-bsdbt848
		--disable-dvdread
		--disable-libavformat
		--disable-x11
		--enable-linux-devfs
		--disable-sdl
		--disable-mencoder
		--enable-mad
		--with-madlibdir=/path/to/libmad/install/lib
		--enable-libavcodec
		--disable-win32

7. In libmpcodecs/Makefile, add
"-I/path/to/libmad/install/include" in CC compilation
line

8. In config.mak, set "limbad=-L/path/to/lib -lmad"

9. make

mplayer gets compiled.

I have two questions:

1. When I try to play mp3 using mplayer on the ARM
board, I get:

Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG
layer-2, layer-3)
A: 0.4 (0.4) 0.0%

But, the 0.0% doesn't move at all and I don't get any
audio output at all. If I play .wav files, it plays
properly though. Any suggestions as to how I can get
mplayer to play mp3?

2. mpeg-1 video files seem to play fine. But, other
mpeg versions seem to play with a blue tinch. Do I
need to use some codecs?

I'd appreciate any feedback as to what I am doing
wrong and how I can get these working.

Thanks,

SK

Shakthi Kannan, MS
Software Engineer, Specsoft (Hexaware Technologies)
[E]: genes46genes at yahoo.com          [M]: (91) 98407-87007
[W]: http://www.shakthimaan.com      [L]: Chennai, India