[MPlayer-users] Coding request

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Thu Sep 15 04:00:51 CEST 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 00:56:51 +0100
raid517 wrote:

> >> This exact thing is easily done on linux. Just create a file in
> >> /usr/local/bin, make it executable and put in it the following lines:
> >>
> >> #!/bin/bash
> >>
> >> mencoder -ovc raw -ofps 15 -oac pcm -vf
> >> scale=220:-2,expand=220:176,format=bgr16 "$1" -o "new-$1"
> >>

> > Thank man, that is a terrific help!
> >
> > GJ
>

> The only problem with it though is that it doesn't work. I made the
> script fully executable andI called the script IpCoder.sh (Short for
> Ipod Encoder) and placed it in my path /usr/bin. Then I right clicked on
> a video in KDE and selected 'open with', then I selected the script I
> just made which was Ipcoder.sh. There appeared to be some harddisk
> activity - and then nothing.
>
> Essentially I just want to do exactly as I have described above, which
> is basically to make a script that works a bit like a KDE right click
> extension (yes I know about service menus - but it would be cool to have
> a working script first) that I could use to right click on videos and
> select the executable and have the videos correctly encoded to the
> correct format for my ipod while keeping if possible the original file
> name. (Or at least perhaps only adding a small change to stop the
> original file being overwritten).
>
> I know it's a lot to ask, but can anyone please help me out? I promise
> to distribute any script and/or executable among everyone else who
> wishes to encode videos for their Ipods and to give full and complete
> recognition for anyones work.

Perhaps you could do some work too. Its not a lot to ask is it?

first thing to try is: does it work from the command line?

just type at a command prompt:

IPCoder.sh filename_of_movie

after it has finished you should have a new file called:

new-filename_of_movie

in the same directory.

I suggest you do the testing on a smallish file as mencoding can take
quite a while!

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>