[MPlayer-users] cdda:// -ac ffdts

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Thu Sep 22 15:42:11 CEST 2005

Ergzay wrote:
> Well from looking on line you can apparently buy music CDs with DTS
> audio on them. My guess is that these CDs are in the format of DTS wav
> files on a regular CD, which are what people call "DTS CDs". On the
> other hand I read instructions on how to burn an actual audio CD
> containing 5.1 Dobly Digitial audio tracks, not just files on the disk.

I don't think they are music CDs, but rather DVD-Audio, which supports
all the varieties a DVD movie also offers: PCM uncompressed (with higher
bitrates and sample frequencies), MPEG Audio, Dolby Digital and dts.

Never seen a dts-CD-Audio (apart from the cinema ones).

I such a disc is encountered, please watch for the distinction CD/DVD,
it should be clearly noted what the product is (logo-wise)

The 'do-it-yourself'-instructions are either for burning DVD-(Audio) or
CD-ROMs with a DVD-Audio layout (but limited capacity). dts-96/24 (which
is the highest available/supported dts format to date uses around
3MBit/s (IIRC), which should last for about half an hour of music on a
CD-ROM. It's not *that* much.

Cheers,
Alex