[MPlayer-users] Mpeg audio stream order

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:02:28 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am converting a series of files to mpeg2 using mencoder, then
mplex'ing them with two audio streams to produce an mpeg2 file.
I am having a problem that for some reason with one of my encodes (I
have done around 10 so far), mplayer reads the two audio streams
around the wrong way and chooses the second stream by default instead
of the first. Other players like totem,xine,etc don't seem to have any
problems and get the streams in the right order.
With mplayer -v 1.mpg, I get:
system stream synced at 0xD (0)!
==> Found video stream: 0
==> Found audio stream: 128
==> Found audio stream: 129
MPEG Stream reached EOF
And I hear the 1st audio stream (128)

With mplayer -v 2.mpg, I get:
system stream synced at 0xD (0)!
==> Found video stream: 0
==> Found audio stream: 129
==> Found audio stream: 128
And I hear the 2nd audio stream (129)

I don't understand why mplayer is doing this, but I am concerned that
it might cause problems in dvd players if the streams are defined in
the wrong order. None of the other files used with mplex so far have
had this problem. If I stop the mplex of this file half-way through,
mplayer will get it in the right order, but if I let the mplex finish
(or presumably reach a certain point), mplayer reads the audio streams
in the wrong order.

Is this problem anything to be worried about? Is there any way of
working out if this problem is in mplayer or if my file is broken?

Thanks for your time/help.
n0dalus.