[MPlayer-users] How to tell how far through you are

Raphael mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com
Sat Apr 1 13:11:21 CEST 2006

John Brown wrote:

>> From: Raphael <mencoder at lesshaste.plus.com>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 13 hour long read real audio dump and I want to chop off the
>> beginning up to some point in the file...
> [cut]
>>
>> a) If I use Right Arrow to skip forward it resets the progress indicator
>>
>> "A:   1.2 (01.1) of 50011.0 (13:53:31.0) 95.0% "
>

> If you do not want to listen to the whole file, try using -ss to seek
> into the file. Then when you reach the spot, just quit. The status
> line will show the position in seconds. The percentage looks wrong,
> but if you really need to know the percentage instead of the position
> in seconds, you can calculate it yourself.

The percent you see is the CPU percentage!  I could try some sort of
binary search using -idx -ss you are right. The progress meter starts
from 0 again so you have to get it just right or get your stop watch
out.  As -idx appears to be necessary I was wondering if it would be
possible for it not to reset the progress meter. I think that is the
current behaviour with avi files.

Raphael