[MPlayer-users] Live Audio Switching, Left/Right/Stereo via -af channels=xxxx

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 2 20:22:04 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 03:11:32PM -0800, RC wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:03:08 +0800
> Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, can this sort of switching be done via a shortcut-key?
>
> Nope.
>
> MPlayer doesn't like things to change on-the-fly.  It takes ugly hacks
> for the little bit of on-the-fly changes it's able to do now
> (ie. resolution, audio channel, etc.)

This is not true. The channels and pan filters both support changing
settings at run-time via the AF_CONTROL_CHANNELS_ROUTING |
AF_CONTROL_SET and AF_CONTROL_PAN_LEVEL | AF_CONTROL_SET messages
respectively.
This functionality is just not exported to the "normal user" (and thus
untested and probably a bit buggy).
I once wrote a patch to support changing the equalizer settings via the
slave interface (searching the -dev-eng archive would help I think).
Doing this should be very similar...
IOW: It is not possible because nobody cares about it, not because it
is particularly difficult.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger