[MPlayer-users] Bug 2 of 2: -framedrop gives lots of errormessages with h264

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 05:56:43 CEST 2006

RC wrote:

>I don't understand why posting a full bugreport is so difficult for you.
>  It's not exactly torture to go through all the steps.

Because the information that they are asking for is usually unnecessary. If
the developers are as busy as that, why do they want to read all of that
irrelevant information? I am talking about my crashes; not about Ergazy's
specific case.

1)If you compiled MPlayer successfully, why do your gcc, ld, and as versions
matter? What was the last bug that was caused because the user compiled with
gcc a.b.c when he should have used gcc d.e.f? when was that?

2) If you have a problem with some files but not others, and other players
can play the problem files, why isn't it sufficient to send a sample file
and a description of the problem? (By the way Ergazy is wrong not to submit
a sample.)The developers can do anything that they want with the file. If
they can reproduce the problem then they will see for themselves everything
that they want you to send. If they can't, *then* the verbose output,
backtrace, etc. would help them to come up with a hypothesis.

3) Similarly, I really do not believe that it is generally useful to know
about the CPU, video card, sound card, etc. if your system is working well
otherwise. The operating system, certainly.

4) They say that you should not truncate the output, but do they really need
to see *all* the status lines? Unless there is a warning or error message,
one status line looks very much like another, except possibly the last line
which may be incomplete because MPlayer crashed.

If the developers ned more information, they can ask. I do not see the point
of drowning them in useless information by following the steps in the manual
like a robot.

It just so happens that I am gearing up to report a crash. Notwithstanding
all of the above, if they think that they need all of that verbiage, they
will get it.