[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer and fglrx [gl] Could not aquire buffer for dr Expect a _major_ speed penalty

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Apr 3 09:45:44 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 09:12:52PM +0000, DP wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:
> > > Recently i Upgraded system with new version of fglrx driver and never
> > > version of mplayer.
> >
> > Which exactly?
>
> mplayer             1.0-pre7cvs20060325-0.3
> mencoder            1.0-pre7cvs20060325-0.3
> fglrx               8.23.7
> w32codecs           20050412-0.1

Oh, I actually meant which ones were the old versions.

> I am sure that it is slower. I had no problems with watching any
> movies before and now it is possible only in small window. I
> f I turn mplayer on to full screen without dropping frames it
> is impossible to watch anything...

If it is slower in fullscreen also with -vo gl:swapinterval=0 then your
OpenGL driver almost certainly isn't working correctly. It think you
already said it, but does glxinfo really say "direct rendering: Yes"
for the screen you use for playing videos?
Well, you could also try -vo gl:nomanyfmts, but I doubt it will make a
difference.

> I tried with many gl options available for mplayer but no effect it
> is still too slow. Right now I may only play movies in mplayer using
> following drivers:
> gl - slow
> gl2 - slow
> X11 - no scalling to full screen unfortunatelly...

-zoom will make -vo x11 scale, but it is very slow.
Why does -vo xv not work?? This should not be the case.
What does xvinfo tell you?

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger