[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer and fglrx [gl] Could not aquire buffer for dr Expect a _major_ speed penalty

DP Debian_Poland at o2.pl
Sun Apr 2 23:12:52 CEST 2006

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Please find my answers below:

> On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 05:08:41PM +0000, DP wrote:
> > Recently i Upgraded system with new version of fglrx driver and never
> > version of mplayer.
>
> Which exactly?

mplayer             1.0-pre7cvs20060325-0.3
mencoder            1.0-pre7cvs20060325-0.3
fglrx               8.23.7
w32codecs           20050412-0.1

> > After upgrade I got a message during mplayer startup:
> > [gl] could not aquire buffer for dr Expect a _major_ speed penalty
> > and mplayer slowed down dramatically.
> >
> > Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this problem?
>
> Probably your drivers do not support the GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
> extension. Your old MPlayer version maybe didn't print that message
> because support for this extension is quite new - in this case MPlayer
> should not be any slower that before.

I am sure that it is slower. I had no problems with watching any
movies before and now it is possible only in small window. I
f I turn mplayer on to full screen without dropping frames it
is impossible to watch anything...
As mplayer worked fine with old version of fglrx driver and it
slowed down with new wersion of mplayer - this may not be a
problem of driver I guess.

> > How should look preferences of mplayer for fglrx driver?
>
> -nodr if that message annoys you (should not change anything else).
> -vo gl:yuv=2 or -vo gl:yuv=5 might give a speed boost.
> If there are bugs in the vsync handling of your drivers, or the
> framerate of your video is above the refresh rate of your screen,
> try -vo gl:swapinterval=0.
> Otherwise, refer to the man page for details and more options.

I tried with many gl options available for mplayer but no effect it
is still too slow. Right now I may only play movies in mplayer using
following drivers:
gl - slow
gl2 - slow
X11 - no scalling to full screen unfortunatelly...

Do you recommend anything else I could do?
Perhaps there is a way to use different vo driver?
If you need any output from mplayer or mplayer logs - I will be happy
to provide it.

> Greetings,
> Reimar Döffinger

All the best,