[MPlayer-users] mplayer and fglrx [gl] Could not aquire buffer for dr Expect a _major_ speed penalty

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 2 20:13:52 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 05:08:41PM +0000, DP wrote:
> Recently i Upgraded system with new version of fglrx driver and never version of
> mplayer.

Which exactly?

> After upgrade I got a message during mplayer startup:
> [gl] could not aquire buffer for dr Expect a _major_ speed penalty
> and mplayer slowed down dramatically.
>
> Do you have any idea what may be the cause of this problem?

Probably your drivers do not support the GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
extension. Your old MPlayer version maybe didn't print that message
because support for this extension is quite new - in this case MPlayer
should not be any slower that before.

> How should look preferences of mplayer for fglrx driver?

-nodr if that message annoys you (should not change anything else).
-vo gl:yuv=2 or -vo gl:yuv=5 might give a speed boost.
If there are bugs in the vsync handling of your drivers, or the framerate of
your video is above the refresh rate of your screen, try -vo gl:swapinterval=0.
Otherwise, refer to the man page for details and more options.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger